The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) welcomes this opportunity to respond to the Australian Government Soft Power Review.
ALIA, Australian libraries and library and information professionals have a role to play in a number of areas, including:
- Working with colleagues in the Asia-Pacific to progress the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Promoting Australia’s creative industries, especially in the area of literature
- Furthering cultural understanding within our region and internationally
- Supporting the preservation and digitisation of local archives and records
- Accrediting education, promoting professional networks, information sharing and capacity building for library and information workers
- Supporting the development of Blue Shield national committees in the region, to promote disaster planning and awareness for cultural institutions.