The 'Australian Library and Information Association Galleries Libraries Archives Museums and Records Workforce Diversity Trend Report 2019' details the current status of diversity across the galleries, libraries, archives, museums and records (GLAMR) workforce using the 2006, 2011, and 2016 census data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The age, gender, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representation, people living with disability, and cultural diversity of Librarians; Gallery, Library and Museum Technicians; Library Assistants; and Archivists, Curators and Records Managers was compared with the levels of diversity in the total labour force.
Five recommendations have been identified for the GLAMR sector to address imbalances highlighted in the report:
- Encourage people to consider library and information as both a first and second career.
- Find ways to significantly increase the number of male library and information workers.
- Aim to double the number of Indigenous workers.
- Continue to open up career opportunities for people living with disability.
- Seek to recruit people born in Asia and/or from LOTE households with Asian first languages.